I have often heard of the First Friday devotion, and I’ve been ‘meaning’ to learn more about it for a long time. I finally did! I had no idea that the Lord promised special graces for those who complete a ‘novena’ of First Fridays. Here’s what I found:
“Those who faithfully complete the First Friday devotion for nine consecutive months are promised the following, as told to Roman Catholic nun St. Margaret Mary Alacoque by Our Lord Jesus Christ:
- I will give them all of the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
- I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place where a picture of my heart shall be set up and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant all to those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
To gain these blessings there are just three simple requirements to complete the each month.”
* Please note: The above information was re-printed from the First-Fridays website.
In honor of our Lord’s Passion, and to encourage a First Friday devotion, I will be posting reflections from the Holy Father, the Church Fathers and other saints on the First Friday of each month. It’s my hope that this will help us each to draw closer to Christ in the great mystery of his suffering, death, and resurrection.